Financial Aid


Free Application for Federal Student Aid

FAFSA 4Caster

College Goal Wisconsin


Students and parents, this is most important information regarding scholarships and financial aid.

There are several sources to assist you in financing your post high school education or training.

I. PARENTS - Under State and Federal guidelines you are the prime resource for funding.

II. SENIORS - Your savings and assets, along with your summer earnings are a vital resource.

III. GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES - The theory of financial assistance at the State and Federal Government levels is to provide support in the form of a gift and/or self help nature (loans and/or jobs) to fill in the gap between the family’s ability to pay and the total cost of education.

a. Loans

b. Grants

c. Work Study

IV. SCHOLARSHIPS - Continue to pay particular attention to the Scholarship Board that is read periodically and posted in the Student Services office. These notices still provide the most current information on scholarships available for academic achievement. Scholarships are gift aid and do not need to be repaid.

a. This publication is only a guide and lists those scholarships that are usually sent to the Student Services office.

b. Students should also check with their parent’s employer who offers scholarships to employees’ children.


1. ROTC (4, 3 1/2, 3 years) – Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines have scholarships which cover tuition, books and supplies, ACT or SAT required prior to December. $100/month subsistence allowance. Military obligation required after graduation.

2. ROTC Nursing

3. Academies – Selection to West Point, Annapolis & Air Force academies based on appointment from senators or U.S. Congressmen.

4. Others – Reserves and National Guard

d. Many students receive advertisements in the mail regarding scholarship search services. Be very cautious about their “promises”. See your counselor with questions.

Wisconsin Financial Aid Programs

Students applying for financial aid from the State of Wisconsin must use the common federal forms. Students must be Wisconsin residents to be considered for financial aid from the State of Wisconsin; they may require verification of residency status.

Wisconsin High Education Grant (WHEG) (608) 266-0888

This is an undergraduate grant program administered by the Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) and open to Wisconsin residents enrolled at least half-time at the University of Wisconsin school and the technical colleges. All WHEG awards are based on student financial need.

Talent Incentive Program (TIP) (920) 492-5749

The purpose of TIP is to provide grants to several needy non-traditional students. The program is open to freshmen and to upperclassmen who continue to be enrolled and have financial need. Additional information is available from the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP) at 2140 Holmgren Way, Suite 0400, Green Bay, WI 54304.

Wisconsin Tuition Grant (WTG) (608) 267-2206

This is an undergraduate grant program open to students enrolled in independent, non-profit institutions in Wisconsin. All awards are based on financial need and the difference between the tuition actually paid by the student and the tuition which would have been paid if the student attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Visual and Hearing Impaired Program (608) 266-0888

The purpose of this program is to provide grants for undergraduate study to Wisconsin residents who are legally deaf or blind. To be eligible for a grant, the student must have the financial need as determined by the institution the student attends. If the impairment prevents the student from studying in a Wisconsin institution, he or she may attend an out-of-state institution that specializes in teaching the blind and deaf.

WI Native American Student Grant (608) 266-0888

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin residents who have at least twenty-five percent (25 %) Native American heritage. Applicants must attend a Wisconsin institution, either public, independent, or proprietary. Awards are made to graduate students as well as undergraduates. Application is made by the student through use of a joint HEAB-BIA Tribal form in addition to the needs analysis form.

MN-WI Reciprocity Program (608) 267-2209

Wisconsin residents may attend a Minnesota public college or university and pay the reciprocity tuition charged by that institution. Reciprocity tuition is defined as the average tuition that would have been charged the applicant at a similar post-secondary institution and in a similar program in his or her home state. An application provided by HEAB must be filed when the student begins his or her Minnesota program. A separate agreement between the two states allows Wisconsin residents to attend Minnesota technical colleges and pay Minnesota resident tuition. Students must notify the Minnesota technical college that they intend to participate in the program.

Other Aid Programs

Work-Study Programs are available for qualified students at each campus.

Procedures For FAFSA

1. To be eligible for Financial Aid through all colleges and for most courses of private funding, you must fill out a detailed financial statement. The most common form is the FAFSA. Some schools may accept another one while others will accept only this one. (YOU MUST CHECK WITH YOUR COUNSELOR ABOUT THE APPROPRIATE FORM.) The first date the FAFSA can be submitted is January 1. There is NO fee.

2. As a general guideline, it is best if the financial form is mailed in preferably by February 1, hopefully by February 15, and you may be a bit late for some schools by March 1. (If you have questions about the information on the forms, your counselor may be able to help you, or you could call the financial aid office at UWGB, St. Norbert College, or NWTC.) We urge that you make a photocopy of your completed FAFSA. Save it for future references.
**UW-Madison needs to have the form mailed by February 15!

3. This is really critical – to be considered for financial assistance by a college or tech school, you have to have applied for admission. A late application could lead to your losing money because all monies may have been awarded to students who applied earlier.

4. Approximately 4 weeks after you have sent in the FAFSA, you will receive a SAR (Student Aid Report). If you indicated a school on your FAFSA, your financial aid information will be electronically received by the school. If you did not indicate a school, you may need to send a copy of the SAR to them.

5. In addition, some schools will want a copy of your parent’s income tax forms sent to the financial aid’s office. Never send the income tax form to FAFSA – SEND COPY ONLY.

6. Even if you may not qualify for financial aid, some scholarships require the FAFSA to be submitted (i.e. Scholarships, Inc.).

7. NOTE: Loans – financial aid form is required to receive Guaranteed Student Loans (Stafford Loans) through banks.

8. You may apply online: You will get your results quicker by applying online.

9. All scholarships and financial aid websites can be found on the West De Pere School’s website at, then go to Academics or Student Services.

Below are some of the Most Common Programs in financial aid packages put together for needy students.

Federal Financial Programs

PELL GRANT - A federal grant designed as the “floor” of neediest students’ aid packages. Eligibility and size of the grant are determined through a complex formula based on financial information submitted by the student.

SEOG – The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. Federal money sent to the colleges to be distributed to needy students on a government formula.

STAFFORD LOAN – Formerly the Guaranteed Student Loan or GSL. Loans are interest free until six months after leaving school.

PERKINS LOAN – Loan made by colleges, from money allocated by the government, to students who show exceptional need. Repayment begins nine months after leaving school.

PLUS LOAN – Loan to parents of dependent students, up to the cost of education minus other financial aid per student per year. Parents who qualify pay only interest until student leaves school. Interest rate tied to 52 week Treasury bills.

This information is provided to high school students in Brown and Door County as a public service of Scholarships, Inc.
Founded in 1962, Scholarships, Inc. has awarded more than 4,700 scholarships with a total value in excess of $3.7 million to local students.  We welcome applications for our scholarships through your high school guidance counselor.

Search for a number of scholarships that students from Wisconsin may be eligible for listed on this site.

Search for scholarships with our free scholarship matching service, get student financial aid and find money to pay for college at FastWeb.

Fastweb for Educators

Materials to keep students informed plus research and resources on the financial aid process

Fastweb's College Gold

A step by step guide to paying for college

Federal student financial aid information (includes texts of some publications) from the U.S. Department of Education

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

(FAFSA)--apply on the Web and/ or look up federal school codes

Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits

For general information about scholarships, financial aid, planning a career, selecting a school, paying for school, and chat nights

Mapping Your Future is your free resource for career, college, financial aid, and money management information.

Search for a school by name, location, program, degree offerings, or a combination of criteria

Links to reports on all aspects of the organization's work, including student aid, legislation, statistics, and school locator.

U. S. Department of Education

Federal tax returns and taxpayer help from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service

Free scholarship search services

College Savings Plan Network

Source for state-operated college savings programs, directed by non-profit state organizations, offering tremendous tax benefits to families.


Full-time members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to help pay for college.

City Year

Join for full-time service and gain skills and opportunities to change the world.  Alumni can apply the AmeriCorps Education Award towards college as well as other savings that may apply.

CSS Financial Aid Profile

Create a PROFILE online to connect you with scholarship programs and nonfederal student aid funds.

College Scholarships, Colleges, and Online Degrees

Provides easy access to information about free college scholarship and financial aid searches, SAT and ACT test preparation tips, colleges and universities throughout the United States, and online degrees and online colleges programs.

Direct Loans

Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education.

Student Loans

Information about how to manage your student loans.

EduPASS:  International Students

Provides comprehensive and free information about everything an international student needs to know about studying in the USA.

Information on the SAT and other tests

Resources by State

Visit the sites for both your state of residence and for the states of the colleges to which you are applying.

Tax Information for Students

Federal Student Aid for Counselors

Online source of federal student aid information to help students and parents plan and prepare for college, career, and trade school.

Information on ACT

Register with the Selective Service

Calculate loan repayments

Wisconsin College Costs